Twitter is a ‘microblogging’ system that permits you to send out and also receive brief posts called tweets. Tweets can be approximately 140 characters long and also can include links to pertinent internet sites and also resources.
Twitter customers adhere to other individuals. If you comply with somebody you can see their tweets in your twitter ‘timeline’. You can pick to comply with people and also organisations with comparable academic and individual passions to you.
You can develop your very own tweets or you can retweet details that has been tweeted by others. Retweeting methods that information can be shared promptly and successfully with a lot of individuals.
Why use Twitter?
Twitter has actually come to be progressively prominent with academics as well as trainees, policymakers, political leaders and the general public. Lots of users battled to understand what Twitter is and also exactly how they might utilize it, yet it has now become the social networks platform of selection for lots of.
The snappy nature of tweets implies that Twitter is widely used by smart device customers that don’t want to review long content products on-screen.
Twitter allows you to:
- easily promote your study, for example by offering links to your blog stories, journal posts as well as news items
- get to a large number of individuals swiftly with tweets and also retweets
- comply with the work of various other professionals in your field
- develop connections with specialists and other fans
- keep current with the most recent news and growths, as well as share it with others immediately
- reach new target markets
- look for feedback about your work as well as offer feedback to others
- adhere to and also add to discussions on occasions, as an example seminars that you can’t attend personally
- reveal that you are as an individual.
What should you tweet about?
The type of information you tweet can depend upon whether you are tweeting as a specific or as an organisation, task or team.
If you have an individual Twitter account you may wish to mix tweets regarding your research with tweets about other things that are of passion to you, as an example pastimes, news stories and also basic monitorings. Insights right into non-academic elements of your life can help make you a fascinating person to adhere to.
If you are tweeting on behalf of an organisation, task or team then you may pick to just send research-related tweets. Twitter is a fairly informal interactions device so don’t be afraid to welcome an individual, pleasant and amusing approach to tweeting.
Examples of things you can tweet
- Information of new publications or resources you’ve generated
- Story that feature your research
- Hyperlinks to any kind of post you have actually written
- Thoughts on conferences you go to
- Inquiries to welcome comments
- Fascinating news items you have actually discovered
- Intriguing photographs
- Replies to other individuals’s tweets
- Retweets of other people’s tweets